Attention all Truckee younger ones- the Annual Truckee Halloween Parade is coming! Held on Friday, October 26th, dressed-up ghouls and ghosts should gather at 6 PM at the Train Depot. You’ll parade through town to the Community Arts Center where various organizations and people will have decorated rooms in the Halloween spirit and offer special treats.
Sponsored by the Truckee Donner Recreation and Park District, this family event is mostly indoors (weather-proof) and has grown each year. Many merchants along the parade route also participate in the trick-or-treating fun.
For more information, call the TDRPD at 530- 582-7720.
For those kids who can’t wait for the big event, here’s a fun and easy recipe all ages can participate in: Skeleton Cupcakes from the my recipes website:
- 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract $
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 20 brown M&M’s $
- 1 long strand black licorice
- 25 white mini jellybeans
- 10 mini Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 (9 oz.) box chocolate wafers
- Beat together butter and shortening for 2 minutes. Slowly beat in confectioners’ sugar. Add vanilla and salt; beat for 1 minute. Mound 1/4 cup frosting in center of top of each larger cupcake.
- For faces, add M&M’s, pieces of licorice and halved jellybeans (see photo).
- For hats, dab frosting on mini cupcakes, invert and stick to chocolate wafers. Put one on each icing mound.